Tuesday 22 March 2011

Will Our Lecturers Teach the Government a Lesson?

As some of you may well have heard (I would certainly hope any students among you may have) lecturers are striking all over the UK in a bid to stop changes in their respective pension schemes. This is on top of planned government budget cuts that could cause redundancies all over the country.

For any foreigners who don’t know a huge amount about us Brits, it isn’t too often that this sort of thing actually happens. Certainly over the past year there have been countless demonstrations against the rise in university tuition fees; and of course, lest we forget the miner’s strike of the Thatcher era. But for the most part, we do not often go to these sorts of extremes. Perhaps it’s our mild temperaments, or our preference for the strongly worded letter. Personally, I think it’s the weather. No one wants to be stuck outside in the pissing rain, waving a disgruntled looking placard and wishing we’d just stayed in and played a game of Monopoly.

Now, look at France on the other hand (before you start, I’ve got nothing against France, I think it’d be wonderful if it weren’t for all the bloody French), over there, they will protest at the drop of a pin, maybe they just get bored of smoking in cafes, in black and white, I‘m not an expert of French culture

I’m not saying the weather over there is perfect, But it’s certainly a damn sight better than it is back here. Definitely enough sun for a good ‘manifestation’ every other week (A level French is finally proving useful).

Alas, I find myself diverted from the point I was trying to make. Personally, I’m all in favour of these strikes if it helps them to keep a little say in their lives, and if I am forced to not go to my lectures on Thursday then I shall carry that burden with head held high. You won’t find me crossing that picket line, I mean, my lecturers spit and shout at me anyway so that wouldn’t be a change. But remember the point I’m trying to get across: I now have a free day on Thursday!

I’m thinking... Waffles and COD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12806189

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12745736

No comments:

Post a Comment