Saturday 26 March 2011

Back to the Old County!

Aright Avid Readerrrs? You may be a’le to guess, bu’ Oi’m back’n Dev’n! Ahem! Sorry about that, the accent here is so infectious it even changes how you write. It’s like living in an Irvine Welsh book!

Maybe one day, if you’re lucky I’ll do a recording of some Devon accents for any of you who may not know just how amazing it is. I know, bated breath right? Come to think of it, here are some Devon lads in a town a couple of miles from where I live, just, having a chat:



Anyway, onto some real news (tongue well and firmly in cheek). Being in Devon reminded me of news story I heard about a week or so ago. Essentially, it says that despite a rise in obesity, European countries are also seeing an increase in life-expectancy. Thereby dismissing fears that todays generation will be the first to die before their parents. Now I feel I should point out that I don’t think that this is one of those “CHOCOLATE CAKE MAKES YOU LOSE WEIGHT” type of crappy surveys. The bloke who found this, has been studying it for 40 odd years (that’s a lot of jiggling), and he’s from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, so I don’t know, he could very well be legit.

But is this now going to be an excuse for people to just pig out and then complain that they deserve better quality of life because they just won’t die? I’m not sure how PC that last bit was…

It’s just a strange perspective for me, I’ve never really spent much time around biguns. Growing up in Devon (a pretty healthy place) I can fairly confidently count the number of really obese people I know, on one, maybe two hands.

Of course I have always been pretty bad at maths…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12771594

No comments:

Post a Comment