Monday 7 March 2011

2012’s Coming Early

Picture from http://politicalclimate.net
That's right avid readers, get out your sandwich boards and take to the streets proclaiming that the end is nigh! Domesday is approaching, and there’s nary a thing you can do to stop it. Unless of course, you don’t live in the UK. A cheeky deception.

For those of you who stick to the opinion that I’ve lost my mind, I’ll remind you that that has nothing to do with what I say… especially when’s I’m being as clever as this. I’ll stop being odd for a moment now and actually make sense of my blathering for you.

The 2011 census is being prepared for distribution on Sunday 27 March, because that’s what people look forward to on a Sunday morning, bureaucracy. It has been a decade since the last census and will no doubt ask the same thrilling questions as usual. How many pairs of underpants do you own?  What’s your favourite flavour of fish? I don’t know, something along those lines, I was 10 years old when the last one came out, do you expect me to have paid attention? I’m pretty sure Mona the Vampire would have been more interesting, and that show made me want to put pins in my eyes.

As a side note, whilst doing a little research into the census, I found out that you are able to put your nationality down as Cornish. I’m sorry, what? First they put a monopoly on pasties and then they’re claiming they’re a nation! Why can’t I put down Devonian as my nationality eh? It’s favouritism that’s what. It’s a conspiracy between the surfers and the government. Let’s just make it official and put down a militarised zone all around Cornwall filled with landmines and crimp-on-top pasties. If they want to be their own nation, let’s separate them, right?

Hmm, I’m not quite sure how a blog post about a census, and a bad joke about the first ever census of the country, conducted by William the Bastard in 1085 and called the Domesday Book (and you thought I was being a crazy person talking about the apocalypse), ended up being a rant about Cornwall, if it’s any defence, bear in mind I am from Devon. There has always been a certain… antagonism between our two counties.

My bad.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12661100

3 comments:

  1. Ewan you make a beautiful point that much wonderful Devonian sense. I'm up for making our nation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes forgot to sign in to write that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did think that first comment was a bit familiar :P

    ReplyDelete