Monday 21 March 2011

"Regardless of content, quality, or sanity..."

Continuing a week or two of ever-changing blog-content (my apologies but at the end of the day, my course trumps the asinine rants that come vomiting out of the gap between my ears). Today I thought I’d actually talk about this blog. Now, those of you who have visited before will know that in September, I started a journalism course at the University of Winchester (for all you latecomers, consider this an introduction). One of the first things we were asked to do was create our own blog, which were to use as a means of publishing course notes and generally as a means of practicing our writing skills. For the first semester I was pretty religious about posting lecture notes and the like, but (me being a lazy little meerkat) I did virtually nothing towards the extra-curricular side.

After our Christmas break however, that changed. During a lecture about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) - this would be relatively difficult to explain, however, one of my course mates has written a blog about the basics which you can read here - our lecturers decided to make the blogs a competition. Now if anything was going to light a fire under my arse, it was learning that I was below the middle of the pack. And so, SuperEwan was born! Dedicated to producing blogs, regardless of content, quality, or sanity. So,  it’s been about six weeks since that fateful day. And I’ve shown, to quote my lecturer: “dramatic improvement.” I’ve moved up the rankings to fourth place, and I’m just about to reach my end-of-semester goal of breaking the three million mark.

I feel I should digress slightly at this point, to explain how the blogs are actually ranked. Well it’s quite simple actually, as long as you use Mozilla Firefox as your web browser you can download the ‘SEO Status PageRank/Alexa Toolbar’ (bit of a mouthful I know).  This gives you a toolbar that ranks web pages. At time of writing this post I am ranked at 3,060,580. It doesn’t sound great but for a blog that’s only been alive for a few months I’m relatively happy.

So, you know, if you felt like telling a few of your friends (or depending what you think of my blog, a few of your most hated enemies) about this little asylum of mine, and help me to become King of the Internet.

Much obliged.

No comments:

Post a Comment