Monday 21 February 2011

Local News 101

Having been in Hampshire for about five months now (excluding a month at home for Christmas), I think it's really starting to feel more and more like home. I'm not much of a city person, in the sense of feeling choked with fumes, and surrounded the homeless. And Winchester doesn't count as a city in my book, it's basically just a bigger version of my hometown in Devon, only flatter.

It was only in reading reading an article on the BBC news website for Hampshire that I found myself truly integrating. The article is as simple as it is amazing. It is entitled: Pies and sausages taken in Hampshire garden centre raid. Apparently, a group of daring thieves made of with nearly 50 savoury pies, as well as 18 pieces of cod and a box of jumbo sausages! This credit crunch has forced people to become criminal masterminds!

But the reason I'm relating this story to you is that it struck a chord with my Devon roots, this kind of story would be page one news in my local Gazette. Indeed, there was a story back in January about a man in police custody which said (and I'm quoting from memory here, so this almost certainly won't be verbatim): "The offender then went on to vandalise his cell - with a pasty." If journalism really is turning information into money, I think they struck gold with this. But wait! it gets better: "Apparently [they wrote] he was given a pasty for lunch, and took exception to the fact that it was not heated, and smeared it onto the walls." This is about the extent of crime in the South Hams.

I honestly can't put into words how happy this story made me, and I was elated to read about the Hampshire crooks taking it up a notch. I truly am in Home, Sweet Home.


And they say nothing happens in the Country...


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-12524295

1 comment: