Friday 25 February 2011

Graduation

Good Lord this has been a tiring day. First I had to be up before midday for 2 DAYS IN A ROW!!! Full English in Premier Inn didn't make me feel any better. And of course there is nothing quite as rigorous as attending a graduation ceremony. As I now know.

Today was one of those days when it's family get-together time, all of us coming from our respective lands in an unholy... Square. to celebrate my brother's successful escape from Birmingham City University. Stealing a Bachelors of Science with Honours in Sound Engineering and Production (I kid, he worked damn hard for that degree and fully deserves it).

I was sat with my Dad on a very high balcony looking down, on what must have been nearly a thousand students, as well as all of their respective parents/guardians/legal custodians (get it?). And then had to watch all of them have their name read out, and their hand shaken by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham (we tried to sneak out after Jack had been, but the bastards had locked the doors and we had to wait the whole thing out). As well as this we were treated to several speeches and what was essentially an advert for Morgan Motors Ltd, from... Charles Morgan, CEO of Morgan Motors Ltd. Who was there receiving an honourary degree. And fair play to the man in the frilly hat, who shook hands with every single one of them, and did not (seem) to wane in enthusiasm. About 3 hours near enough, and we proceeded from the ICC hall to the national anthem. I didn't think it was necessary for everybody to stand when I did, but I was touched anyway.

And so, here I sit, two massive meals, two train journeys and a taxi drive later, absolutely knackered. Thinking about my own graduation in just over two years time. And I only want to say one more thing:

Congratulations, Jack!

No comments:

Post a Comment