Thursday 25 August 2011

Didn't Need to Go to Rehab? Wishful Thinking.

The latest news concerning Amy Winehouse has revealed that she had no drugs in her system when she died. This has obviously been a relief to all of her family who said they wanted to put the record straight. But (and I don’t mean to be  deliberately offensive here) are we seriously supposed to believe that her death was not at all related to drugs? To be sure it’s good that it wasn’t an overdose. But with her relationship to drugs, you can’t tell me that the cause of death (whatever it turns out to be) is going to be anything particularly natural. I mean we’re not looking at Cot death here are we?

The Sun does say, despite stamping ‘OFFICIAL DEATH REPORT’ onto their front page with a picture of the rehab neglecting celeb, that the cause of death won’t be announced until late October.Who knows, maybe there was divine intervention so as to secure her a place in the hallowed 27 club.

Once again I want to stress that I don’t mean to be insensitive. I have no particular enmity with Winehouse, as many people have a tendency to suddenly reveal when any famous person dies. Frankly I’m pretty ambivalent about it. I wasn’t a fan, but I also didn’t dislike her enough to make anything about it. But at the same time, I see how much positive press there is about her at the moment (which, to a point is understandable, everyone deserves respect in death),  and some of it sets my teeth on edge. I just don’t agree with making martyrs out of people, in death; who, in life, no one should ever have emulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment